Borussia Dortmund’s team bus hit by explosions before Monaco tie

Borussia Dortmund’s team bus hit by explosions before Monaco tie


Three explosive devices went off by the side of the coach carrying the German football team Borussia Dortmund on Tuesday night, slightly injuring one player.

The incident occurred around 7pm local time in Dortmund’s Höchstem district, about 10k from the club’s stadium where they were due to play a Champions League quarter-final against Monaco.

Police confirmed there were three explosions near the coach, breaking some of the vehicle’s windows. The defender Marc Bartra sustained non-life-threatening injuries from shards of glass and was taken to hospital.

A police spokesperson said they had no information yet on the nature of the explosive devices or the motive behind the attack.

Bartra, a Spain international who has been based in Germany with last season’s Bundesliga runners-up Dortmund since last summer, is no stranger to the impact of terrorism on football. In November 2015, a Belgium-Spain friendly was called off owing to concerns after the Paris terror attacks. At the time Bartra told reporters: “If we’re going, it’s because it’s safe. We’re calm.”

The team’s remaining players were escorted from the coach by police, who also used drones to search for further explosives.

Hans-Joachim Watzke said the coach carrying the players had only just left their hotel and turned on to the road where the explosive devices were hidden behind a hedge. “Bartra was injured, on his hand and his arm, but nothing that would be life-threatening,” the Dortmund chief executive, said. “The team is in complete shock. Our task is to process this experience, because the match is taking place in less than 24 hours. That’s our job.”

The quarter-final has been postponed until Wednesday, the club confirmed. Tuesday night’s other match, between Bartra’s former club Barcelona and Juventus, went ahead.

Watzke said a crammed schedule for both teams had made it impossible to postpone the match for more than a day, a fact he described as “unfortunate”.

The Dortmund goalkeeper Roman Bürki told Swiss newspaper Blick: “I was sat in the back row next to Marc Bartra, who was split by the shards of the burst back window. After the bang everyone in the bus got their heads down. We didn’t know whether there would be more. The police arrived quickly, sealed everything off. We are all in shock.”

Borussia Dortmund

The scoreboard announces the postponement of the game prior to kick off. Photograph: Dean Mouhtaropoulos/Bongarts/Getty Images

Police and Borussia Dortmund officials assured supporters they were not under threat inside the stadium and that they should “stay calm” while leaving.

A tweet from the German club’s Twitter account an hour before kick-off at the Westfalenstadion had first alerted news of an incident. “At our bus departure, an incident has occurred. One person was injured. More information to follow,” it read.

A later tweet read: “A bomb exploded at the team bus next to the hotel. The players are safe. There is no danger at the stadium.”

Borussia Dortmund

Bombenexplosion am Mannschaftsbus am Mannschaftshotel. Spieler in Sicherheit. Keine Gefahr im und am Stadion. Weitere Infos folgen. #bvbasm

April 11, 2017

Source link